Saturday, September 29, 2012

Vote For Me!

Image credit: Gary Mcinnes

Ok, I've been trying to avoid writing about politics on this blog, but the political atmosphere in the country right now is driving me crazy, so I have to write something. I've got so much to say on this issue that I hope I don't ramble, but what it all boils down to is I think it's incredibly important for people to question their own beliefs.

The other day, a friend of mine posted a picture of an Abraham Lincoln quote (which, as it turns out, was never actually said by Abe Lincoln) on Facebook. We both posted a few comments on it back and forth, and then he said it was a good quote even though Lincoln didn't say it, "But quotes don't create anything other than a feel good confirmation of an already set bias. People don't speak to persuade or listen with the intent to question their belief. They speak to hear themselves speak and listen for anything to justify their views; ALL people not just Democrats or Republicans or Mormons or athiests. All people."

Ever since he said that, I've noticed how true that is. Every time anyone posts a quote or a picture or anything political on Facebook, they only post things that agree with their point of view. I'm almost always tempted to write a comment disagreeing with them, not necessarily because I disagree but because I think its important to consider the other side's argument. I usually refrain, but sometimes I do post a counter-argument, and they usually just ignore me. Haha.

Today, for example, I saw a video showing the inconsistencies within President Obama's campaign and presidency. It's actually a great video. I love how it just shows news clips and words from Mr. Obama and his administration with very little commentary. I tried to find a comparable video for Mitt Romney, but I was unsuccessful, so if anybody finds one, be sure to let me know. But my point is that most people who watch and share that video are people who agree with it, which is great, but the problem is that they're probably not going to watch anything showing Mitt Romney in a negative light. If they do watch it, they'll watch it with the intent to disprove it. To me, an ideal situation would involve watching/reading/listening an equal number of liberally and conservatively biased propaganda. That way you can analyze both sides of issues and make the best possible judgement call for your own opinion.

A few years ago, I was listening to Ethan Milliard fill in for Doug Wright on the Doug Wright Show, and I seem to recall that he was talking about Senator Bob Bennett evading taxes or something. (I haven't been able to find anything online mentioning that, so I'm probably remembering incorrectly.) Anyway, Ethan said something that has stuck with me ever since and made him someone that I trust the political opinions of. He said that people would try to turn Bennett's tax evasion (or whatever it actually was) into a partisan issue, but evading taxes on either side of the aisle is inappropriate. After hearing that, it amazes me how easy it is for people to demonize politicians they don't agree with and justify anything their supported politicians do.

Having said this, I must confess that I have a hard time considering issues and politicians without bias. Due to the environment I grew up in (Utah county, haha), I'm biased toward Republicans. Logically, I know that neither Democrats nor Republicans have a monopoly on good ideas, but I still feel like Democrats are the bad guys and Republicans are the good guys. I'm probably going to vote for Romney this November because I would personally rather have him in office than President Obama, and I'm probably gonna feel sick in my stomach if Mr. Obama wins and excited if Romney wins. It's silly and not something I'm proud of, because I have enough faith in this country and its system of government that I think it'll be ok if either candidate wins, but that's just the way I feel, and it's something I'm trying to overcome. I certainly don't think that Romney is a perfect candidate, nor do I think that Mr. Obama is an evil man or anything like that.

Question what you believe. That's the gist I want you to get out of this post. Not just about politics, but about everything. Why do you believe what you do? Do you believe it because that's how you were raised, because it's popular, or is something you've carefully considered and found to be true for you? And just because it's something you believe, that doesn't mean you should force your beliefs on others. That's what's fun about politics to me: discussing different beliefs. Politicians always sound so sure that they know what's right and wrong and what policies and laws will work, but they don't know. Politics to me should be about civilly talking about problems and solutions, and voting for whichever solution you think is best. Maybe Congress will vote for something that doesn't work out. The beauty with the American government is we can change things.

So please, see the different sides of issues. Listen to people who disagree with you. Question what you believe. And remember that everything is gonna be just fine.

5 comments:

  1. http://washingtonexaminer.com/down-with-politics/article/2508882#.UGekd03A8Ta
    Everything's gonna be just fine? Probably. Unless Yellowstone erupts. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you've had a hard time finding a video that shows Romney campaign inconsistencies. There are frankly bajillions of 'em. Try here: http://youtu.be/bxch-yi14BE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Um, this is embarrassing, but I've gotta admit, I didn't look super hard. That video's just silly. The one you posted on my face is good though.

      Delete
  3. I remember years ago Uncle Mark spoke about the power of the media. He said that Hollywood gets away with making so many R rated movies because Economics 101--supply and demand--doesn't come into play. If people want to go to movies, they'll go no matter the rating. Mark's point was that if we want to effect change, we have to take a stand. If people simply quit going to R rated movies, Hollywood would have to stop making them because they wouldn't be making any money. According to Mark (this was years ago), we live in a country full of people who have good Christian values, but who don't stand up for what they believe in. Our inaction becomes our action.

    As far as the current political turmoil, I think there are three problems: first, we live in a fast paced world in which people want information available immediately at their fingertips and if it takes much more effort than that, it isn't worth it. Second, the media has far too much power. I used to think that the news was presented without bias; how naive of me. I can't think of a single commentator who is "fair and balanced." As we seek information then, much of the information we find is biased. Therefore, as you said, we listen to what we want to hear. Third, as you said, people really don't even know what they believe in. What is it that prevents us from exploring our beliefs? Complacency? Indifference? Fear?

    It's been interesting for me these past few months to take a number of quizzes as I've tried to figure out what my beliefs are, what my values are. In the first quiz I found that I really had no idea what the issues were nor how I felt about them. Hence, I was very surprised to find out what my political leanings were. Since then, I've tried to become more informed. I posted the results of my latest quiz on my timeline, but as with the majority of what I put on my timeline, I posted my results viewable to "Only Me." Why? Mostly because it doesn't seem the appropriate forum. And, there are some people I refuse to have serious conversations with because they cling stubbornly and unreasonably to their own opinions, refusing to listen to anything else. I enjoy having conversations with my boys because we agree, but we also disagree, and yet we are able to have interesting conversations as we share opinions. One of my pet peeves are people who try to make you share the same opinion they have because by its very definition, an opinion cannot be proven.

    As far as your commentary is concerned I would add to do more than question your beliefs--put your beliefs into action and take a stand. Be tolerant of those who are different, of course, but explore your own beliefs and take a stand, by golly, take a stand!

    I was going to post the oft quoted quote by Edmund Burke but found this instead: The statement that "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" is often attributed to Burke. Burke never said this but, in 1770, he wrote in Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents that "when bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

    There was a time that I believed it would all work out, that "The beauty with the American government is we can change things." Now I'm not so sure. I am afraid for my future and I am afraid for yours. You are so right. We must explore our own beliefs and take action. For me, that means it's important for me to defend our constitution.

    It used to be that the people had the power--I don't believe that currently that is the case. Every individual must explore their beliefs and take a stand--without individuals there is no "people." And without the people, our government fails, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't go much farther than questioning your beliefs, so it's good of you to mention choosing your beliefs and then standing for them. That's important. I also think that some beliefs are more important to stand for than others, which is something we need to figure out as well. I also want to clarify that I don't think questioning your beliefs means that you have to have a "try anything once" attitude. An easy example of this is illegal drugs, or even smoking or drinking. You can do research those and decide what you think about them without trying them.

      As far as people not exploring their beliefs, I think a lot of the time they're afraid. That's at least the case for me. What if I question my beliefs and then I don't believe them anymore? What if I start believing something that disagrees with what I believe now? I've found that for the most part, questioning my beliefs doesn't actually change them a whole lot. It usually just strengthens them, or I'm happy with how they've changed.

      I don't know that the "people" have really had that much power. If you think about it, only 56 delegates signed the Declaration of Independence. It was just a few people who got the wheels of revolution rolling. I think that then, as well as today, the majority of people don't care that much about government as long as it keeps things running, gives them a reasonable sense of security, and stays out of their way. It's when government makes a significant disturbance in one's day-to-day living that we need to complain and start talking to people about it. Our cousin Kjerstin is a good example of this. She's a teacher, so she posts articles on Facebook about the problems teachers face to get people thinking and talking about it. I can't remember if you've posted anything like that, but you have told us about that, and it's good to get things like that in the open.

      From modern prophecy, we know that the world is gonna get worse before it gets better. It's scary to think about, but I don't think God tells us about it to scare us; I think He just wants us to be prepared. It's good for us to take stands and try to change the world for the better, but I believe that ultimately, we should take care of ourselves and the people we love. I have to believe that God knows what He's doing, and that we're gonna be ok.

      Delete