Friday, December 20, 2013

Have Yourself a Material Little Christmas

Image credit: castelinok

Odds are good that sometime this holiday season you’ll watch a Christmas movie in which the characters struggle to find “the true meaning of Christmas.” Of course, it’s unpopular for mainstream films to identify the real reason we celebrate Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ, so they spout off various “true meanings,” such as giving gifts or serving others, spending time with family and friends, or the idea that joy comes from people, not things. These are great aspects of the holiday, but they only represent how we celebrate Christ’s birth. One of my favorite themes in Christmas movies is anti-materialism , such as in A Charlie Brown Christmas. I’m embarrassed to say, however, that I was ignorant of the delicious irony of these films until recently. The creators of these movies are selling you something that tells you not to buy stuff. How can they pull this off? Because anti-materialism sells. Oh, man, this is the kind of irony that I just loooooove.

You might think that I’m bashing these movies, but I’m really not. Honestly, I’ll probably enjoy A Charlie Brown Christmas more now that I can appreciate the irony. You see, I’ve come to believe that there’s nothing wrong with buying things or with money. The problem comes when we “set [our] hearts upon riches and upon the vain things of the world” (Alma 4:8). I remember when I was younger, I used to think that the items I put on my Christmas list would change my life. One particular example I can think of is when I asked for a Game Boy Advance. I was so excited when I opened it up on Christmas morning, and I thought my life would be drastically improved, but as it turns out, my life was pretty much the same. Sure, it brought me some pleasure, but that was it. In time, I’ve come to view what I put on my Christmas list differently. I think the items will bring me some pleasure, entertainment, and possibly even enrichment, but overall, I’ve come to understand that joy in life comes from people, not things.

Besides the irony of some Christmas movies, I’ve realized something else regarding materialism and Christmas. The holiday season is a huge time for retailers, and you’ve probably heard something snarky about how Americans go crazy on Black Friday after a day they’re supposed to be grateful. But here’s the thing: the main theme for Christmas shopping is buying things for others, not for yourself. So if you think about it, the fact that the biggest time of year for retailers is a season about giving is pretty awesome. Also, even though I don’t like Black Friday and I will probably never, ever go shopping on that day, and even if most Black Friday shoppers are buying items for themselves rather than others, isn’t it possible that they’re so full of the spirit of gratitude from Thanksgiving that they want more things to be grateful for? It’s a bit of a stretch to say the least, but I had fun thinking about it.

Image credit: Darren Deans

Here’s one final reason why it’s good to buy things around the holidays. I don’t claim to be an economist, but from my casual observancation of economic disasters, I’ve come to the conclusion that the biggest danger to our economy is when people stop spending money. When that happens, workers can’t make money, and the whole situation can turn into a downward spiral. I actually had a lot more to say about this topic, but it would take quite a bit of space and words and it’s probably not as interesting as I think it is, so here’s the bottom line: If you support our economy and want people to be able to choose among a variety of jobs, buy stuff. Otherwise, become a subsistence farmer.

So go ahead, buy an anti-materialism movie, pop some store-bought popcorn or make your own tasty treat from store-bought ingredients, relax on the couches from the furniture store, and enjoy spending time with your family. Donate to charity, give gifts to friends and family, think about Christ, read the Nativity from the Bible, and have yourself a merry, and material, little Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment