Monday, February 1, 2016

Utah State Legislature - Week 1

Image credit: Freeimages.com/Ryan Day

It would be cool if as legislative intern, I could fill my blog with my opinions on the issues based on my more-or-less insider information, but I can’t. As an intern, I work for the Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel, which is a nonpartisan organization that assists Utah state legislators in writing laws. So basically, as long as I’m an intern, I have no political opinion—all I do is support my assigned legislator.

However, that doesn’t mean that my blog has to be boring while I’m working on the Hill. (Not that it’s ever exciting because I rarely post.) Let me share a couple thoughts after my first week or so.

First, I’ve been very impressed with the legislators up here. From what I’ve seen, they care a lot about serving the people of Utah. They truly are public servants. Here’s a quote from our textbook, Utah Politics Under the Dome: Representation and the Utah Legislature by Adam R. Brown:

“. . . [L]egislators now earn roughly $16,500 per year. My survey suggests that legislators work over 1,000 hours per year, producing an effective wage of only $16.42 per hour. At that wage, a full-time employee with two weeks [vacation] would earn $29,240 per year, which is roughly half Utah’s 2013 median household income of $57,583. For a family of four, $29,240 is only slightly above the poverty line ($23,050). It is not much of a stretch to claim that Utah legislators earn poverty wages.”

It’s an honor to work with these public servants.

Second, I’m surprised by how quickly I’ve settled in. I haven’t got it all down, obviously, but I feel like I’m getting there quicker than I expected. A little bit of background for this—originally, I applied for this internship almost more of an exercise in trying hard to get a job than anything else. Yes, it would have been great to get this internship, but I wasn’t too worried if I didn’t get it. I mostly wanted the experience of actively pursuing a job.

So when I did receive the internship, I was excited. However, the last couple of weeks before it started, I felt a bit sick with anxiety. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever done before, so I wasn’t sure if I could handle it. Even with the two weeks of training they gave us, I felt unprepared.

The first day, I still felt sick and unsure. The interns were introduced that first morning in front of the entire House, and it was certainly unnerving to be the center of attention among such powerful people, even if it was just for a moment.

However, by the second day, I felt much better and like I had already gotten mostly in the groove. It’s weird: even though the experience has mostly been meetings and research, which sounds really boring, I’ve been enjoying myself. I wake up at 5 a.m. every day to catch the train (which is really early for me); I wear a suit all day, every day (which isn’t exactly the most comfortable thing to wear); and I come home exhausted with little desire to do anything but read myself to sleep, but I’m having a blast. I know it’s going to get even busier, but I really think I’m going to keep having fun.

I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge my Heavenly Father’s help. I don’t know if it would be a surprise to anyone to know that I’ve been struggling with my faith for years. I’ve always believed in God and always will believe in Him, but I don’t understand everything about His Plan, and it’s hard for me sometimes. While anticipating this internship, I knew I needed His help. I fasted, prayed, read my scriptures, and received a priesthood blessing from my brother Harrison. The blessing said that I would settle in before too long, but I didn’t imagine that I would feel settled in this fast. I’m sure that my mom and others have prayed for me as well, and I’m very grateful for them, their prayers, and a Heavenly Father who loves me.

Anyway, that’s about it. I suspect that it will be a bit difficult to write posts while I’m an intern because there are topics I have to avoid and I can’t get too specific, but I do want to try to write once a week while I’m up here, so hopefully, I can make it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment